Flashback Friday 007. Featuring Living Room
Posted 3 years ago by Joel Funk
Every Friday, we try to sit down with some of our favorite bands and ask them some Flashback Friday questions. This week, we got to talk to the guys in Living Room (our very first band of the week here on 36vultures). Check out their Top 10 Flashback Friday moments after the cut.
- Where/When was your bands first show? How did that go?Scott: Our first show was at a now defunct DIY warehouse space in Brooklyn called Party Expo on Feb 16, 2011. The spot was previously a party supply store and the new occupants just kept the old name. We played with our buddies from NJ Surfs Up Nebraska, Tired and True, Nightlights and Curious Volume. I remember it was our drummer Fred’s birthday which made it an even more special night. It went well from what I recall. We were definitely more scrappy back then, a little looser and my voice was more screamy. Despite all that we felt good about it, we were well rehearsed and ready to go. We hung out with Nightlights at our apartment after the show and we received some nice words from them which boosted my confidence about the whole thing.
- Did you guys play any covers? If so, of what?
Scott: We didn’t play any covers at the first show but we did do The Promise Ring’s “Picture Postcard” in our earlier days.
- What was the first song you guys wrote as a band? Is it on any of your releases?
Scott: As a band we completed two songs around the same time. One was called “At the Ghost Party” which didn’t make it to any releases and the other is the first song on our 2012 EP Dream Journal, “Falling Asleep Walking”. In actuality, the oldest song we have is on our new album Moonchaser called “Feet of Snow”. Johnny and Kevin had written the guitar parts in the year prior to being in the band and Kevin ended up teaching me his part so he could play bass on it years later. Finally Johnny solidified lyrics shortly before recording in the Spring of 2013.
- Did your band ever have a different name?
Scott: Before Fred joined we were briefly considering calling it Dream Journal but decided that would be a way better album name. By the time Fred was set in the lineup we had decided on Living Room.
- When did you decide that making music was something you really wanted to pursue?
Scott: It’s something we’ve all wanted to do for a long time and as we grew playing music together it started to seem like a serious possibility. The more we put into it the more we get back and it just keeps getting better.
- What is the first band you remember getting really, really into?
Johnny: The Smashing Pumpkins
Fred: Green Day
- What was the first album you bought with your own money?
Kevin: Weezer “Blue Album"
Johnny: Greenday ”Dookie“
Fred: Rancid ”Self Titled“
Scott: Oasis ”What’s the Story, Morning Glory?“
- What was the first show you went to?
Kevin: MxPx, Good Charlotte, Ultimate Fakebook at The Vanderbilt in Long Island NY
Johnny: Movielife, A Static Lullaby at The Chance in Poughkeepsie NY
Fred: Blink 182 the "Take off your pants and Jacket” tour at Jones Beach Theatre Long Island NY
Scott: The Offspring at Jones Beach Theatre NY
- Favorite One Hit Wonder? If you don’t have one, then Favorite song not from this decade?
Kevin: Natalie Imbruglia ’Torn’
Johnny: Better Than Ezra ’Good’
Fred: Baltimora ’Tarzan Boy’
Scott: Semi Sonic ’Closing Time’
- Favorite movie? If you can recall, favorite line?
Living Room: A collective Wayne’s World.
Kevin: “I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turns out I was just really bored.”
Fred: “A gun rack… a gun rack. I don’t even own *a* gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack. What am I gonna do… with a gun rack?”
Johnny: "Grizzley Adams DID have a beard.“
Scott: "Does anyone else find this weird? I mean, we’re looking down on Wayne’s basement.. only that’s not Wayne’s basement… isn’t that weird?” “Garth, that was a haiku!!” “Alright, excellent.”